Asphalt Shingles: A Top Roofing Material in Arizona
September 12, 2023
Living in Arizona, the sun’s intensity isn’t the only thing homeowners have to consider; the roofing material covering our homes is equally crucial. With a variety of roofing choices at our fingertips, clay tiles and asphalt shingles emerge as top contenders for most residents. If you’re a new Arizona homeowner or considering a roof revamp, it’s wise to familiarize yourself with these popular roofing options. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll spotlight asphalt shingles, a top choice in Arizona’s warm climate, examining its advantages, other considerations, and more.
What Are Asphalt Shingles?
Asphalt shingles, often referred to as composition shingles, are a top choice among the best roofing materials for Arizona homeowners. These shingles are designed with a base made of fiberglass or organic material. This base is then saturated with asphalt and coated with mineral granules, ensuring enhanced weather resistance and impressive longevity.
Quality Matters: Choosing the Right Asphalt Shingles
For Arizona homeowners, the quest for the best roofing materials is never-ending. Given our state’s unique climate, the stakes are high to ensure your home remains protected. But how do you sift through the abundance of roofing choices available?
- Understanding Asphalt Shingles: Often hailed as one of the top types of roofing materials, it’s pivotal to know what asphalt shingles are. At their core, they’re either fiberglass or organic-based, coated with mineral granules for durability.
- Composition Shingles: Not just a fancy term, these shingles often integrate various materials, sometimes even surpassing traditional asphalt shingles in longevity.
- Assessing Quality Over Cost: While it’s tempting to lean towards cost-effectiveness, it’s the quality of the material that dictates longevity. Especially in Arizona, investing in high-quality roofing can ward off potential damaged shingles down the line.
Your home deserves premium protection. As you decide on your roofing materials, keep in mind that today’s quality will determine your home’s safeguard for the foreseeable future.
Key Advantages of Asphalt Shingles:
- Design and Installation
One of the standout features of asphalt shingles is their ease of installation. When you pair this with a vast selection of designs and colors, it’s clear why they’re a favorite among homeowners. If you’re aiming for a seamless aesthetic appeal for your home, asphalt shingles offer an abundance of choices.
- Cost Considerations
Asphalt shingles are widely recognized for their cost-effectiveness, making them one of the most affordable roofing options available to homeowners in Arizona. Their competitive pricing, combined with their durability, offers homeowners a high return on investment over time. When considering the best roofing materials, it’s essential to weigh not just the initial cost but the long-term value, and in this regard, asphalt shingles consistently emerge as a top choice.
- Installation and Warranty
Choosing the right roofing contractor is paramount. A top-notch installation not only ensures your shingles fit perfectly but also maximizes the benefits of the manufacturer’s warranty. Ultimately, the longevity and performance of your roofing shingles depend significantly on the quality of the material used and the expertise behind the installation.
Considerations for Choosing Asphalt Shingles
While asphalt shingles bring numerous benefits, it’s essential to understand some key considerations:
- Lifespan: Depending on the quality and installation, an asphalt roofing system can last 20+ years. Regular maintenance can prolong this lifespan
- Heat Retention: Although they provide a barrier against heat, ensuring good airflow is crucial for interior cooling.
- Aging and Aesthetics: As they age, shingles might discolor. Replacing damaged sections may result in a mismatched appearance.
Being informed about both the benefits and considerations of asphalt shingles empowers Arizona homeowners to make the best decisions for their homes.
Recognizing and Addressing Shingle Damage
In the warm Arizona climate, asphalt shingles can face wear and tear. It’s essential for homeowners to recognize early signs of damage to prevent more significant issues down the line. Here are key indicators that your asphalt shingles might need attention:
- Color Changes: With time, asphalt shingles might begin to fade or discolor. It’s crucial to differentiate between normal weathering and damage.
- Curling or Buckling: Notice any curling at the edges? Or perhaps buckling in the center? These are signs your asphalt shingles are nearing their end.
- Missing Shingles: Whether due to high winds or installation flaws, gaps in your asphalt roof should be addressed promptly.
- Granules in the Gutter: Those tiny granules on your shingles protect them from the sun. Finding many in the gutter is a sign your shingles are deteriorating.
By better understanding asphalt shingles and regularly inspecting the quality of the material on your roof, Arizona homeowners can make informed decisions about repairs and replacements.
Exploring Roofing Materials in Arizona
Having understood the importance of material quality, let’s delve deeper into specific options. Arizona homeowners often find themselves gravitating toward two key types of roofing materials: tiles and asphalt shingles. While we’ve unpacked the intricacies of asphalt shingles, there’s more to explore in the realm of roofing apt for Arizona’s intense sun.
Shingles Roofing Options
Beyond the commonly used asphalt shingles, Arizona residents have a few more options to ponder:
- Composition Shingles: Often made from asphalt, these can also comprise other materials, blending durability with flexibility.
- Metal Shingles: Known for their durability, they promise homeowners longevity in their roofing investment.
- Wooden Shingles: Crafted from split logs, they offer homes a rustic charm.
Types of Roofing Tiles vs. Asphalt Shingles
For Arizona homeowners, the decision between tile roofing and asphalt shingles is both a practical and aesthetic one. Let’s explore the merits of these choices:
- Ceramic/Clay Tiles: A traditional choice for many Arizona homes, clay tiles are renowned for their timeless beauty and durability. Their natural material offers an earthy charm that resists the state’s intense sun and ensures longevity. Additionally, clay tiles provide great insulation, making homes cooler during scorching summers.
- Concrete Tiles: Marrying cost-effectiveness with resilience, concrete tiles have found favor among many homeowners. They offer a versatile appearance, mimicking other materials while maintaining inherent strength, providing an affordable yet durable roofing solution.
- Asphalt Shingles: When it comes to cost competitiveness and ease of installation, asphalt shingles shine brightly. Often more affordable than tiles, asphalt shingles are lightweight, making them easier and quicker to install. They also come in a range of designs and colors, allowing homeowners to customize their home’s look without compromising on protection. Furthermore, while tiles are robust, asphalt shingles offer a more flexible and cost-effective solution, especially for those who anticipate more frequent changes or renovations to their homes in the future.
While clay and concrete tiles bring a distinct character and robustness to homes, asphalt shingles offer a blend of affordability, versatility, and ease. By weighing the benefits of each, Arizona homeowners can make an informed decision that best aligns with their preferences, budget, and long-term plans.
Making the Best Roofing Choice in Arizona
Arizona’s warm and sometimes unpredictable weather can be a challenge for roofs. Therefore, it’s crucial to make an informed decision when it comes to roofing materials. Whether you opt for asphalt shingles or clay tiles, ensure you’re considering the long-term benefits, the quality of the material, and the potential disadvantages.
At Diversified Roofing, we’re committed to helping residential homeowners keep their costs down by making smarter long-term decisions for their homes.
If you have questions about what is the best roofing material for your roof, we’re ready to help! Our experienced team can discuss the pros and cons of asphalt shingles, clay tiles, or other roofing materials, guiding you to the best solution to fit your needs and budget.
Contact us today for more information or an expert opinion. We can’t wait to hear from you!